Saturday, June 06, 2009

Calm

Yesterday Layla threw a 21 minute fit about not being allowed to have a 2nd sip of my pepsi. Once time puts had been delivered and calm had settled over her tear streaked face we went upstairs and I made her a bath. I let her slip into the warm water and with a tiny little cup, a tall bathtub filled with warm bubbles and an empty bottle she found her happy place. For 20 minutes she played quietly. I didn't even talk to her. When I pulled her out she was a different child. She ate dinner and played until bed time with only a few seconds of normal toddler crying when she didn't want to sleep because we had company she wanted to play with.

After she went to bed, I found my happy place as well. I went to the kitchen and laid out a selection of foods and got ready for game night with our friends. Despite normally being an in bed by 9 person I stayed up well past 11 and played games, laughed and used adult language with reckless abandon. I went to bed happy and woke up the same way.

With eveyone going to bed happy it was no surprise that we all woke up the same way. Jon and I visited while I made Layla's eggs and he made his toast. Then he went to work while Layla and I had playtime, went grocery shopping, had snack and even now as I prepare for lunch there hasn't been 1 single big fit.

I know part of the fit problem is terrible two's frustration and inability to communicate what she feels. I wonder how much worse it was the last 2 weeks because there was drama all around us. Did my emotions fuel hers?

Because now that the toxic is gone so seem to be the extremely broken temper tantrums.

No comments: