Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Thin Line

This evening I took the last of the potatoes and the last of the eggs and made dinner. We're officially parents now. Instead of lunch this week we'll be buying one more thing of formula and one more package of baby wipes (which all the sudden we go through 3 times as many of). It's ok though. We both get paid at the end of the week.

Jon told me a few weeks ago that he was tired of being an adult. I can't say I disagree but I think the advantages of being a parent and a grown up far outway the disadvantages. I often wonder though if that feeling ever goes away... you know the one where you just feel like you're pretending to be an adult because you know you are one and that's what adults are supposed to do. I mean are our parents in their 50's thinking... man I still want to be 16 but dang it I'm an adult or does it go away after awhile.

Speaking of things that go away after awhile... has anyone seen my sex drive? I think I lost it right about the time I lost my stretch mark free stomach and limitless budget. Anyhow... if you find it could you give it to Jon he's been trying to find it. I mean I could care less but the guy is going to get rather testy about it eventually. You know how boys get when they lose things.

The new job is going well. People ask all the time. The truth is I'm good at it, they seem to like me and it's challenging. It's just going to take awhile to either adapt to the crazy way they do things or have a hostile take over until they do things my way.

In the interim... if anyone needs me I'll be the one standing on a tight rope above insanity trying to pretend like it's not scary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the tight rope

And yes, I'm in my fifties and occasionally I wish I was sixteen again and all I had to worry about were my dark roots and if I had enough money to buy some Sun In... or whether I needed to wash my jeans before I went out in the evening. Or would Vicki get home from her soft ball game and still feel like going out (btw, she ALWAYS did lol)

At that time, I couldn't wait to be "old enough", It's a quick trip from "old enough" to OMG I'm OLD!! So, you know, all that stuff about age being in your head, it's true.. you're as young or as old as you feel you are. But I tell you what, some of my best, happiest days, were my poorest.. I had you, a husband that made me laugh (even when I was HELLA Pissed Off!) And a supportive family... all of which, if I'm not mistaken, you have :) Not that Jon ever makes you hella pissed off LOL

Sex drives come and go... wanna hear the worst part? You'll rarely be at the same place/space sexually at the same time and Oh my goodness, when you hit 40 and YOU are the one feeling frisky and he's feeling, well, 40... think payback/karma or just Life.. but it is what it is. Not to get too personal about it, but my motherly advice is:
Even if you're not in the mood, go for it, you soon will be :)

How's that for a Oprah Moment?