Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Meeting Your Match


There comes a point around 4:30 a.m. when your child is enjoying her awake time once again during the wrong time of the day that a new mom has to admit it. She's met her match.

I should have known a few days earlier when she flashed the devilish grin above at her uncle or the day she held her breath when I tried to put socks on her but I didn't figure it out until last night.

Perhaps it was the fact that she refused to eat at her normal time, or the fact that it took an extra hour to rock her to sleep that clued me in. Maybe is was the way she laid awake on the bed between myself and my husband cooing ever so slightly and wiggling to remind me to stay awake.

Or perhaps it was the fact that when I picked her up she melted into my arms, buried her head into my chest and sighed her whole body weight into my breast...relaxing finally... looking into my eyes with her little blue baby eyes, letting her lips curl up into a gentle grin and reaching out an outstretched hand and giving me a nipple twister with her right hand.

And as I gasp for air and swear under my breath arching my body to get away from the worlds smallest purple nurple grip... she then gently slipped off to sleep with her other hand placed ever so innocently on the side of her head like a little cherub in a pink onsie.

I'm so proud.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Terrific post, Allie. Wow. She sounds like a feisty little one, disguised as an angel.

Anonymous said...

It's OFFICIAL!!!

Attention everyone!!!!!

I have the world's most beautiful granddaughter, which is fitting, considering I had the worlds most beautiful daughter!

I just don't know how one person can be so stinking lucky!

Eden said...

ok. my ovaries are officially in overtime right now...dangit all you people and your cute babies!!!! she looks so sweet in that picture. Let me know when you guys are up for visitors so I can see you and the baby.