Sunday, October 28, 2007

To Layla @ One Month Old

My Little Layla-bug,

It's baffling to mommy that you could already be one month old but I look at the calendar today and sure enough here it is the first month anniversary of your birth. You have been around only one month and already you are the most important thing in my life. You have become my center of gravity and I revolve around you changing your diapers, feeding you and letting you nestle next to me in bed to sleep.

Daddy mentioned last night that eventually you will have to go to your own crib. I laid in bed after he fell asleep and my heart broke. I love daddy very much and sharing a bed with him is one of my favorite parts of being married but I know a little part of our relationship will shatter when you move to the other room in the near future. I awaken sometimes in the middle of the night and the light from the closet (which we leave on so I can see you when you make noises) casts a little shadow across the bed where you and daddy lay in the exact same position snoring in chorus.

I feel your breath against my chest as I sleep because you always roll yourself on your right side when we lay you down. You're a strong little girl, already kicking and holding your head up, grabbing onto things to inspect them and rolling yourself around to get to where you want to go. Right now you want to go next to me and it makes my heart swell.

You are a determined and stubborn child. You hardly ever cry but you are more than willing to scream a protest at anyone who attempts to make you wear socks. You hate socks. You spend a good deal of your day trying to keep things away from your feet because you are very ticklish just like your father. You give people stink eye when they try to wrestle you into footwear. It's very funny to watch.

When we laugh you laugh. Strike that. When daddy laughs or Grandpa Glen laughs you laugh. When mommy laughs you look at her like she's crazy. You have a great little laugh and an impish grin that makes grown men melt like butter. You are quite the little charmer.

In addition to winning over your family, god parents and most our friends you have an uncanny ability to be the center of attention in public places. You lay there, peacefully sleeping in your car seat, and perfect strangers will walk up to mommy and comment on how lucky she is and how beautiful you are. Mommy always agrees because she's bias but the truth of the matter is that you are beautiful because of your uncanny ability to love everyone already.

When we hand you to someone you immediately trust them, you slip into their arms and drift ever so slowly to sleep until you overflow on to their lap or chest and you make little happy noises and you slumber. Your purity of heart makes people feel loved and they hug you and sigh. Don't get me wrong I'm not handing you to strangers but I have yet to introduce you to a family member or friend who wasn't warmed with your charming little spirit.

It's only been a month and it seems as though somehow at the same time you have always been here and like you've only just arrived. You're like watching fireworks, my own little pyrotechnic show. You burst with life, you explode with love, you glitter with newness of life and you are a startling reminder of how dramatic lives best changes can be.

Daddy and I love you more than you could possibly imagine.

Love,
Mommy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are times in your daughter's life when they question your love. And at those times you'll say/yell/grumble "I love you more than you could possibly know, more than I'll ever love anyone else"

Now, I know you understand my words to be truth. You are experiencing the first real "TRUE" and pure love you've been able to give, completely unconditional. Because the only true love is what you Give Away...And you *know* that NO MATTER WHAT Layla ever does, that LOVE will never change.

Believe me, as I believe you... And Layla, please know, as a person who loves you from before your birth the only thing more precious than your own daughter is your daughter's daughter... You will be LOVED all the days of your life, NO MATTER WHAT!

Hugs & Kisses from Grandma LaLa aka Nanna

Oh and Allie, those "my mom is crazy" looks? Get used to those too :) as you remember, when I first held Layla in my arms you introduced me as her 'Silly' grandma... and I plan to live up to my name!!!

like mother like daugther huh? ;)

Cheryl said...

Beautiful tribute, Allie.

Courtney said...

Absolutely precious...

Candace said...

Has it been a month already?!? That was a beautiful letter to your daughter. It is amazing how much you can love them isn't it!

We kept Anna in our bed until about 4 months and that was a very difficult transition for me. Enjoy the snuggle time while you can!

Layla's Nana said...

Look!!! I remembered my password!!!
Layla's Nana!!! WoooHooo

Layla's Nana said...

Did I get my pic to work too?

Layla's Nana said...

Okay, now I think I got it!!!