Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's Complicated...err... I mean a complication

So in the last 2 weeks I've found out about a lot of things I don't have and now finally one thing that I do have. I don't have Group Strep B, Strep Infection, or an infection of my "fill in the blank" (I've been diagnosed with 3). What I do have is called Cholestasis of the Liver.

Cholestasis in pregnancy has wonderful symptoms like all over body itching (think about chicken poxs minus the rash), flu-like symptoms (vomiting and diarrehea...ewww), jaundice of the skin (I'm yellow people), exhaustion (um... all pregnant people are exhausted in the 9th month) and a couple more symptoms I am lucky enough not to have yet.

It is caused by a decrease in liver function and according to all the websites is horrible for me and the baby. It can cause still birth if not monitored correctly. There are no meds you can take to fix it and the only cure is to have a baby. So I'll be going to the Dr every 3 days, doing lots of NST, praying a lot and most of all... I'll be being induced soon... very soon... as soon as they determine lung function is good.

Please pray for Layla. I know I'll be fine. I'm a big girl (literally) but she's going to need some functioning lungs right quick like.

Scary? Yes. Sick? Yes. Ready? Yes. Let's do this already.

8 comments:

thirtysomething said...

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Wishing you the best and a healthy delivery.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying too.

Christine said...

Oh, Allie!!! Hugs to you! Thinking positive thoughts for you & Layla! :)

niobe said...

How scary. You're both in my prayers.

Cheryl said...

I'll be praying too, dear heart. Go lungs!

Anonymous said...

Prayers are being sent up as I type
Good Luck Allie

Courtney said...

Continued prayers for you and Layla. You're in my thoughts!

Meredith said...

Stay positive, Allie. My girlfriend and her husband had their baby, Mattie, at 24 weeks in April when Kristen suffered from a horrific case of Cholestasis. They ended up having to do an emergency C-section within 45 minutes of diagnosis. To me, it actually sounds like you're doing pretty well as opposed to Kristen and Mattie's story. Four months later, Mattie is doing very well and actually was taken off her oxygen this week. Try to stay calm and positive for Miss Allie, and remember that it could be a lot worst!!!