Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Scary Isn't It

I think it's only fitting that I have no idea what I should be doing. This is my first Halloween as a Christian and my previous religion of choice (Celtic Pagan) had a lot of traditions steaming from this time of year.

What I find scary isn't the lack of participation or the overwhelming love of costumes and candy that I am finding in my current religion but instead the fact that it all depends on who you ask. Is it ok for kids to tricker treat? Is it ok to see a palm reader?

Where is that line in the sand? How do we determine where the difference is between the occult and having some fun? I surely don't know. My husband seems to think it depends on "how much stock you put in it" or "where your intentions lie" but that seems a little gray and vague to me.

Somewhere there is a right side, a wrong side and that thin line in the middle and I want to find it. I think this stems from the fact that I know where most of these halloween traditions came from and I'd have to say that it was a long way from playing dress up and getting free candy.

What exactly are we teaching the children around us? What would we do if it was our kid? I don't know. If knowledge is power then that is scary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the same thing I thought last year. I think the Christian people don't want to offend anyone by saying 'hey this is evil' because it sucks to be moral

Anonymous said...

What I have found is not a gray line but a lack of knowledge...and you will know first hand I am sure..how many pagan ritual and rites are considered 'evil' or 'devilish' when they are the exact opposite.

A said...

I had a paper that hung around forever about the difference between being "evil" and being occult. It wasn't very popular with the church crowd. lol

A said...

I think we do walk a thin line when it comes to informing our kids about the reality of history and still keeping them steeped in faith.

I converted last year right after Halloween. So this will be my second Christmas. I know most of my Christmas traditions are family based and not Jesus based so the hubby and I are going intregrate the reading from the Book of Luke and some other things if we can with our children.