Thursday, February 01, 2007

13 Things No-One Admits About Being Newlywed But Allie...




1. You'll fight over the pillows. I'm talking every.SINGLE.night. Usually this fight is because I'm a pillow hoarder and would take them all if I was allowed but I'm sure we aren't the only couple that go through this.

2. You'll talk endlessly about your families. Seriously, no one told me 80% of the conversations you have when you're bored will be about how it was different when you were little.

3. You'll Eat Out. I used to eat out because I was single and it wasn't worth it to cook for one. I was raised to cook for 4. Turns out I can't cook for 2 either, I over shoot it, I under shoot it and a lot of times I'm too lazy to shoot at all.

4. You'll find someone will always be over. You'll invite people over all the time. It's like you and your new partner want to show off how cool it is to have your own place. You'll be the hang out house for awhile.

5. You'll play to win and they'll hold a grudge. I never thought being married was so much like 3rd grade but occassionally I remember after a game of backgammon.

6. You'll still ask to use each others stuff. I figure the first sign we're not newlyweds anymore will be when I don't ask to borrow a tank top anymore. But, for some reason when you're first married you still ask for permission.

7. You'll worry about it. It doesn't matter what it is. The wife will always find something to worry about. For instance, your husband will go for a jog and you'll hear a siren and then you'll call his cell on his jog and ask him if he's alive because you heard an ambulance. Hypothetically... not that I've ever done that.

8. You'll watch more TV. Oh sure you think you'll be busy playing to win, eating in and fighting over the pillows but you're going to watch more TV. Especially if you normally watch the same sorts of things like Law & Order Marathons. He'll find an episode while he's bored, next thing you know you're both sucked in and 5 hours later you know who did it but you'll need to go out to dinner because it's too late to cook.

9. You'll clean house as a sign of affection. Growing up you'd point to someone's pile of laundry to call them out as a dirty mess. Once you're married you point out the clean pile of laundry you made...hinting they were a dirty slob... and reminding them how nice you are. You'll consider taking out the trash a sign of your true love.

10. You'll go on big trips and then be shocked at how bored you are. I think being Newlywed we assume we'll always have company but truth of the matter is no husband can make a trip to visit the relatives fun enough or laugh you through being sick in a resort town. On the upside you'll have someone to talk to about how much more exciting travel was when you were little and you'll still plan the big trips... until you come up with one that's really fun.

11. You'll plan for the future and then ignore the plan. Ahh the 1st year... "budget- oh we have one" (it's that thing we talk about doing and then ignore for a chance to go on a road trip or out to lunch after church). "Envelopes & cash only", great idea.... let's start that later (as in never). We just need a savings account so let's start saving ... or we could go on another trip.

12. You'll find it easier to let go of the toxic people. As single people we feel we need our friends, even the bad ones, you really need them. You need them until they piss off your spouse or until, worse yet, they insult your spouse because little did they know you're new job is to jump infront of bullets for this person... or to push them under a train to keep them from hurting your new hubby or wife.

13. You'll really like the fact that your house doesn't look or smell the same. Yesterday I got home, dishes in the sink, Jon's clothing on the floor, my clothing on the floor, and the mail on the couch... it smelt like his cologne and I felt for the first time since I got married... a lot more like it was our house than my house and it smelt like home.


*Note- My Mister Linky is down today so please leave your links in the comments section. I apologize.


For more Thursday Thirteeners please click on this link.

7 comments:

eccentricego said...

#9 is a good one, yet I don't think the tactic is working for me after 8 years of marriage and four kids. They just look at me and say, "yeah, that looks great"

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great list! Enjoy #8. Once you have kids it turns into a Noggin marathon and by the end of the day you just can't take one more "Backyardigans" and you might blow up the T.V. #13 was very sweet:)

Anonymous said...

I loved #8. We do that with CSI...and my password never works, so this is Eden :)

Anonymous said...

wow... that was so good... and so true. i had forgotten a lot of it due to the fact that we're married almost 7 years now.

visit my TT if you get a chance. :)

Anonymous said...

heya!!!!

I love your wedding picture your dress is so pretty - i like whole black and white with the red bits.

Han

Cheryl said...

When will I no longer be a newlywed? Hubby and I will celebrate our second anniversary in March, and I still feel like we're honeymooning. *I know... gag me.* I identified with everything on your list except for the one about people being over all the time. We're in our little bubble where we rarely need to spend time with other people. I think that's more about our personalities than our newlywed status though.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your site through the link on BlogHer. I'm not married, but I thought your list was hilarious. Great post. :)