Thursday, April 17, 2008

Balancing Act

Tonight was the bi-weekly, take the checks, say a prayer, grab a calculator and wish for the best-let's all pretend the bill pile is smaller than the paycheck pile- day. Fun stuff. That moment when I'm an adult now meets dang I'd really like to have some new shoes.

It's almost alright. Taking 4 months off to have a baby and having medical bills (which we aren't even paying really yet), a personal loan and a lot of past due bills has finally gotten itself down to 2 things that aren't quite paid off, a personal loan we've made two payments on and no more red ink in the check book. Not that it's all caught up mind you, but it's not all spinning out into chaos.

There will be a full pantry, an overstock of diapers, and if we are really lucky... perhaps a BBQ night with friends. A couple more checks like this and I do believe we could breath easy, which of course I won't be counting on given the current state of my job.

The thing is, I'm having a heavy heart still. I think I need a little prayer. Money's tight, I don't feel pretty and my kid likes daddy better. Grumble grumble grumble... I should know better than to grumble. So a little prayer please... to get me through the balancing act.

Oh and while you're at it.

A little prayer for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law as they pull an all-nighter driving across 3 states to sign up for college courses (GO GARRATT!! GOOD FOR YOU!!)

And some for all the kids in the middle of the drama of life, and the husbands who always get too little too late, the family looking for work, and the family working to keep the roof up.

Some for my friends online, Cheryl (who had surgery), Annie (who's having a baby soon), Christine (who just had a really cute baby)

And some for my friends here in the real world who are going new places... C (who's about to move in), J & A (who are about to get married), K & J who are about to move out, Shu (who has a lot on her plate), E (who can't find the right job), L (who wants to come home), G (who still believes in Emo Love)

A prayer for those I don't see enough, and for those I see all the time who drive me crazy

A prayer for those who I think about but never call

And a prayer for the people we never think about it

And for good measure throw in a little something nice for yourself... Patience or Kindness or Hope... Something you can bank on on a Thursday night just after tax season.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh Allie. It's tough, isn't it? It seems like we are perpetually trying to play catch-up with our finances. It's hard not to feel downtrodden. You're in my prayers.

Courtney said...

And a prayer for Allie, who I too think about and pray for but don't reach out to. Please forgive me during my busy time of prepping a house to be a home. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.