Friday, April 25, 2008

Being Green

So I know Earth Day was April 22nd, but I despite the media overhaul towards being "green" I'm just not feeling it the same way as I used to. You see Earth day used to come and I'd watch the trendy Oprah show on new lightbulbs and I'd buy a few, or I'd see a show on recycling and I'd watch what bin things went into a little more carefully.

But this year...

Oh this year it happened...

I went hippie mommy.

Next thing I know I'm laying in bed at night after a Discovery special on the Ozone thinking about how I'm solely killing my daughters planet by being so damn complacent. The next thing I know I'm reading the back of organic food boxes at the grocery store, wondering what is more natural-glass or plastic baby food bottles, and contemplating where to plant herbs in the yard.

I was never "brown", I was always a little "green" around the edges but now I'm thinking about looking like Elphaba and sprouting custom made clothe grocery bags.

Heaven help me... I'm turning into my mother. Soon I'll have on Birkenstocks and I'll be a regular at the farmers market. Not that there's anything wrong with that (love you mom) I just didn't think it would be such a sudden change.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

We've gotten on this bandwagon a bit, too. We finally have started recycling in earnest, we use cloth grocery bags (when we remember), we're planting a garden this year, we're buying a compost bin, we're installing a rain water collection system, we're baking our own bread, and we use Freecycle to get most of our construction materials for our renovation downstairs. Kind of fun. Takes more concentration, but I'm glad that we're being good examples to Ben and Anna.

Layla's Nana said...

I love my birks!
Welcome to the "I Love me daughter and I want things nice for her" club :)