Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hi Bebe

So the Hi-bebe BT 200 Fetal Doppler that I ordered got here today. It came with batteries, a cute carrying case, and a tiny bottle of ultrasound gel. What it did not come with is a clear description of how to use it or instructions or a cd of sounds or any of the other things you might expect from a home medical device.

I'm scared to use it. On one hand it could totally relieve me to find a heartbeat. On the other hand I could use it wrong and freak out for no reason because I don't have instructions. Or perhaps there is no heartbeat and this process is at it's end. Am I ready to know that yet? I don't know.

So I wait. $150 bucks and I'm waiting. What am I waiting for? The forces to align, a clear sign from God... nope... just for a full enough bladder and a high enough self esteem to take a stab at fishing for a heartbeat.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I rented a doppler.... and it was a LIFESAVER for me! Reaal, it was! Be aware.... being a plus-size gal myself.... it takes patience! The first few times.... wow.... it was unnerving! You'll hear your own heartbeat. Then also, the "whooshing" soubd of your blood-flow. The baby's heartbeat is MUCH faster than your own. It sounds like a galloping horsie!

Here's a link to the Use Tips page of the company I ordered from: http://www.heartbeatsathome.com/tipsonuse.cfm

Good luck!!
:)
~Christine

P.S. If you comment on my blog with your email address.... I'll give you the sling run-down! ;)

Cheryl said...

Good luck with it. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience once you finally get a hang of it. I loved hearing Ben's heartbeat at our doctor's appointments. If you can't find a heartbeat, you can freak out and call your doctor and rush in to have them do it.

Hopeful Mother said...

I'm a lurker... also pg - 11wks here. We just got the Hi-Bebe off of eBay too, but have not yet had any luck (maybe because we have twins? or just too early?) But we have heard the whooshing of the placentas.

Owlhaven said...

Try about two inches below the belly button and a couple inches to either the right or left side. Angle it inward a little bit, pointing toward the core of your body. Don't stress if you can't hear it at first. it is MUCH easier to find when you are further along....

Mary (OB nurse, 10 years)