Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Curse of the Smiley

It all started so innocently. I just needed shampoo. And while I was at it I had a return to do. I placed my return in the bag and loaded up the baby. Once at the land of smiley we stood in line for 13 minutes to find out that without a recipe our return was worth pennies on the dollar so I sent a quick email from my cell phone to my mother asking her to bring the recipe with her on her visit this weekend and we left.

In the parking lot I remember that I still needed shampoo. Well I had another return for the big bullet sign so we went there. While at this store we do our return without issue and walk back to the baby section to turn a too small dress into a just right dress. Twenty minutes later I've got a cart full of diapers and swipers because they are on sales, a couple packs of baby food and a few bottles of formula. Dang. Time to go. We check out. $89.00. Yuck!

Loading the baby back into the car I remember I still don't have shampoo. Well, might as well go back to the blue smiley. At least that way I won't look like an idiot going back into the same store to buy one thing.

At the land of smiley we take a quick walk to the baby clothing section because I see a cute dress. It's less than $7 so we toss it in the cart, we grab some shampoo, oh look food items we use on sale...damn it... $36 dollars later (at least $16 was a return)... we're finally on our way home.

I spent over $100 and I didn't get anything we really didn't need other than that dress. I know it's not a big deal but when you're not working every little penny makes you worry. Plus I know I'll spend more money when I go back with that second bag of returns.

What is it about that little yellow smiley face that always tricks me into buying things I don't need just because they are on sale?

1 comment:

Christine said...

I hear ya lady! We don't do Walmart around here... but, I tell ya... Tarjay is like my Kryptonite. We call it the Hundred Dollar Store... I just spent $45.00 there today, and all I "needed" was diapers, wipes, and nursing pads. And that is AFTER I actually put some stuff back. It's a sickness, I tell you!!