Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Back When I Wore PiggyTails


The counter was cold and hard and I would sit there while my Aunt Penny dipped the plastic comb in ice cold water to get the tangles out of my hair. The water would drip down my back and give me chills, resulting in her losing grip on the hair she was trying to pull back into piggy tails. Then eventually she'd get it all just right and she wrap that little plastic hair tie around my pony tail until I thought my head would pop. A quick spritz of hair spray that's probably illegal now and I was allowed to go play. "Pretty" they would proclaim as I marched proudly around the house in my new hair do. Then when I tried to yank it out I'd get the "pretty is as pretty does" lecture.
Now, I'm a mom. I set her on the bathroom counter and I distract her with the perfume bottles and extra makeup brushes. While I quickly run my wet hands in her hair trying to avoid the water dripping down her back (because I always hated that part)... then I quickly divide her hair in half and try and get it up into a pony tail before she notices what I'm doing and starts to squirm...or worse... help. Then once it's all up I proclaim her pretty and take her down stairs to show daddy, where she immediately starts to wrestle someone and it falls out.
I wonder if I could get some of that illegal hairspray off the internet?

2 comments:

Layla's Nana said...

Just like her mommy was and is...
"Pretty"

And that hairspray? They use it as insect killer now, so NO, you can't use it ;)

Mel said...

The hairspray they used for us is so Illegal now I swear... I think your Mom is right...they just might use it for insect killer...

The next best thing is...AQUA NET!!! LOL...I swear this stuff could hold anything!!!