Saturday, August 08, 2009

Dear Miss Mia...


I usually resolve myself to only writing letters to my child on my blog but the thing is... I'm very attached to you already. This is a picture of me and your Mommy at your baby shower today. I was honored to help throw the party that celebrates your arrival, because I can't wait to meet you.
Your mommy is all washed over with anxiety right now, that's normal for someone who's about to have a baby. She's worried that she'll struggle with being a new mommy and that you'll suffer because of it. But, I know that if she's already worried about it, then it will all be just fine.

See...the truth is... being a Mommy is hard work but it's also just a part of who someone is. And your mommy, she's already worried about raising you up right...which is the most fundamentally important thing about being a Mommy. You just have to love someone enough to care to do the right thing for them, and that she already does triple fold and then some.
She's going to be a great Mommy. She's so much fun and so full of life. She's funny and she's willing to make those stupid faces to make other people's kids laugh so you're in for a real treat. She's also very honest which as far as parents go can be pretty rare so you remember that later when she's being honest with you. Some parents don't treat their kids like people and she already thinks of you as a tiny little person and you're not even here yet.
Today I told your Mommy that I never write in cards at baby showers because they make people cry and people are already there taking pictures. But if I had written in her card I would have told her a few of the things I've learned since I've become a Mommy.
I would tell her...
It doesn't matter what you do wrong, as long as you remember that no mistake is too big that you can't make it right. It doesn't matter how many people in the village are helping to raise your child, only your opinion matters so follow your gut. Ask for help if you need it and turn help away if it isn't helping you. Teach your daughter to be as independent, brilliant and full of zest for life. And remember above all things... love is always more important than anything else we give to our children.
Oh... and if all else fails... go for a drive in the car.
Lastly, Little Miss Mia, I'd like you to know that I love you and your Mommy very very much but that neither she nor I are patient so you better hurry up and make your grand entrance soon...
Because if I teach you only one thing in life... I think your Mommy would appreciate it if it was... "if Mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy".

1 comment:

Layla's Nana said...

Beautifully said