Sunday, January 14, 2007

I need a vacation from my vacation...

South Carolina is beautiful. I forgot how wonderful big grass yards and tall trees were. In 7 days I drank in the beauty of the winding roads and the southern hospitality. But I missed home. I missed my friends, my cat, my bed and most of all I missed the no smoking laws and modern freeway system that I am so acustom to. I missed you too...my readers and the blogs that I read. I missed feeling connected and seeing things and doing things with wreckless abandon. I am home. I hugged the cat. I snuggled in my jersey sheets and I watched lots of old movies on cable snuggled in my favorite pjs and quilt on the couch. I missed it. I really did.

It's funny how as people we have let society tell us that you can't be content. Commercial after commercial, article after article and movie and movie tells us that we would be happy if only there was that one more thing. One more car, one more vacation, one more child, one more savings account, one more twinkie or one more glass of real Florida orange juice doesn't make us content. It just confirms our needy, greedy, "I want more" society based thoughts.

I am home and I can tell you now that I've lived in someone else's life for a week that more won't make you happy. More money won't give you better communication with your husband, more babies won't hide the fact that you're family isn't "all together", more pepsi won't calm your anxiety about being with people who you don't know how to cope with and more time won't make you feel like you got it all done.

More won't get you there. But by the grace of God love will. Patience is a virtue I do not possess but I have a loving hubby who knows how to make me smile and is willing to do the laundry when I don't feel well. I have a sister in law that can giggle in the face of another National Lampoons moment on my vacation and a brother in law that can say "that's nice, that's real nice" even if he's thinking something much more colorful. I have a nephew who is smarter and cooler than any baby I've ever known. And I am content to be at home, close to those I love and closer to God because now I know that he can get me through all the little things before they add up to one big mess.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Contentment is another aspect of grace. Hubby and I were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and we both said we'd never want to be on a show like that. Why? Our lives are simple and complete as is. We have thousands of blessings come our way every day.