Monday, January 29, 2007

Cooking in Crisis

My grandmother was a traditional old southern woman. When something went wrong you got a stiff drink and some good advice. When something went worse you got some company, prayers and the occassional helpful errand. When something went into crisis you got food, lots and lots of it. Good food. Stick to your ribs, lick it off your fingers, "darlin' we're gonna need some more whipping cream and another cup of coffee", bad for your diet good for your soul food.

Perhaps that's how I became a curvy woman. I associate food with so many things. I celebrate life with side dishes and mourn with the richest of desserts. The main thing that makes my comfort zone though isn't the casseroles brought over with love or the trips to a restraunt to share the big news.

For me, the love of food comes from making it. When I am sad and loss has gripped me I want nothing more than to make big meals for the people I love. If I want to get to know someone really well I invite them in to chop and peel. For me, the kitchen is where life gets summed up. In my life, the process is what heals us.

Am I grieving? Would you know it? Or would you assume that you're coming over to dinner because we always do? There isn't really a way to tell. Perhaps it's in what I cook. More likely it's in what I leave behind.

Perhaps for me the best gift after mourning loss is someone to do the dishes and mop the floor because the hurricane of cooking usually destroys any sign of order in my kitchen. When I'm bitterly upset and the world seems cruel I usually crave the worst things possible. The kitchen is left with a litter layer of potato peels, white bread crust and mayo jars is often the last sign that I feel alone. But I'm not alone, after all the peeling and baking I'm with you...eating... and I've cooked my way through the crisis.

Below are two of my favorite crisis food recipes (don't judge me based on my crisis diet) & one recipe I love to take to other people:

Okie Potato Sandwich

Peel 4 large idaho potatos and slice in 1/8 inch wide pieces the long way (a potato cut correctly will look like a slice of baguette)
Peel 1 large white onion and slice into rings (like for a hamburger)
Peel 3 cloves of garlic and slice paper thin

In a hot skillet melt 1/4 cup of butter and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Layer potatos on the bottom of the pan and cook until both sides are golden brown. Then saute onions and garlic until tender.

Serve on white bread with the crusts cut off with ketchup.

Cream Tuna on Toast

In a medium heat large skillet place 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 chopped red onion, 2 cans of tuna and 1 clove of minced garlic. saute until onions are tender and tuna is slightly brown. Add 2 cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (don't be cheap Campbells is the best) and one can of milk. Stir until cream sauce is heated thoroughly (it will be thick like gravy) serve over toasted bread.

Funeral Chicken (a name given to this recipe by my Great Aunt Jewel)

In a pan place a whole chicken.

In a bowl combine 1 cup fresh lemon juice (keep the rind and left overs), 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary and 1/4 of olive oil.

Pour the mixture all over the chicken, including the inside. Place 4 sprigs of rosemary, 2 garlic cloves and the left over lemon parts inside the chicken cavity.

Cover with foil and back at 325 until done.

Place chicken on a platter surrounded by rosemary sprigs and slices of lemon. Cover and take to the person who needs it. Usually I put mine in a basket with a bottle of wine, a bag of salad greens with some bleu cheese dressing and a baguette. Chicken will keep in the fridge for 5 days.

This topic was brought to you by a discussion over at Stirrup Queens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....they all sound delicious!! I wish Chad liked Tuna because I would make that for him. Its like chipped beef and toast..hmm that sounds good too. I think I am going to have to copy all of your receipes and print them out so I can have some variety.

Oh, do you have a good receipe for chicken and dumplings?

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I looooooooooove potato sandwiches. I haven't had one in a long time. My sister's busband (more than a boyfriend, not legally a husband) taught me how to make one when I was in high school. He told me that they're British (he's from England)! I've discovered the truth--he's really a Southerner :-)

The rest of the stuff...feh...I'm a vegetarian :-)

We should pool together all the recipes into one place. A big carb fest! I'll start a list tonight.