Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thursday 13 Favorite Secret Things



Thirteen Things about Allie

This is a list of my 13 favorite secret things



1. Hallmark Channel Movies- (ok so that's not a secret) every knows I like these but did you know that sometimes I spend an entire Saturday watching a Marathon of Sarah Plain and Tall or Love Comes Softly movies in my PJs. It's a horrible horrible addiction which leads me to neglect my housework, husband and sometimes even my hygiene.

2. Law & Order Marathons-The hubby and I have pretty much stopped watching prime time television entirely choosing to instead flip between the three channels with Law & Order on picking which ever episode is better (Criminal Intent, SVU or the original show). We know all the characters, most of the plots and can even tell you what other characters a given actor has been on a different version of the show..."hey wasn't she the serial killers wife in the episode with the dungeon?"

3. Cheeses with Snobby Names- Cheese.com is one of my new favorite lists. It lists all the different cheeses in the world by alphabetical order. No seriously. Everything from Abbaye de Belloc (which is a goat cheese) to Zanetti Parmigiano Reggiano (my favorite cheese) and all the ones in the middle. It's like a little to do list for the cheese lover in us all.

4. Wikipedia- I love dork conversations. In case you were wondering a dork conversation is any conversation in which the winner of said verbal debate is determined by looking the item up on the internet. "Ya right...google it" is a common phrase at my house and Wikipedia is like a fond old friend which whispers ever so coy in my opponents direction "I told you so"

5. The giggles- Sometimes a girl just needs to giggle. My ideal Friday night for a long time involved spending time with girlfriends and having a good case of the giggles at least once in my introduction to a new weekend. See guys don't giggle. Oh sure they get started laughing and they can't stop. Their eyes might water. They might even have to fall to the floor from a side cramp. But girls, girls know what it's all about...giggling, squelling, hiding your face because it's soo red, smearing your eyeliner, and almost peeing your pants. You can giggle anywhere, it's a special type of happiness you carry inside you. You can bust it out at the dinner table, sitting on the carpet in the den or sometimes if you've developed the skill...in target somewhere between the dvd's and the section filled with travel shampoo.


6. Mommy Blogs- You see, I'm not quite a Mommy but yet most of the people I list over there in the side bar are. I started off a young blogger who didn't know anyone else who blogged and somehow I found some Mommy's they were out there talking about motherhood in a beautiful and honest way, even the bad parts. I am addicted. I read them daily. I must imagine it even if I can't have it yet.

7. Pee Sticks- Pregnancy tests. What you're not addicted to constantly checking to see if you are with child? No? Well you must not be dealing with infertility. My new favorite website for pee sticks is Early Pregnancy Tests which I got from Parenthood (a place I read vaguely often). They sell a 20mIU test for HCG which is a really really strong test. I heart them. I ordered 20 which was less than 25 dollars. Can't beat that. Is it a plus? That's also a great secret to get to have.

8. Fashion Bug- I'm a bigger girl. I fill out my D cup and my size 16 pants. I'm not ashamed. I love my curves, bumps and even my billows but sometimes shopping can be a pain in the plush booty. For those days, I have The Fashion Bug which has knocked Lane Bryant off my favorite plus sized place to shop list by offering the same clothing in itty bitty sizes for my friends and nice two digit numbers for those of us who are a fan of cheesecake and carbonated beverages.

9. Costco Photo Center Online- Everyone loves Costco the discount bulk shopping stack those HUGE boxes of cereal to the ceiling place that brought us as a nation to a place that loves buying frozen chicken in a giant bag and have a box of detergent the size of Nebraska on top of the washing machine. But did you know that you can go to Costco's website and upload your digital pictures and then pick them up an hour later at your local Costco. The prices are great. You can also ship them to your home, make them into cool objects (mugs, calendars etc) and all without getting out of your pjs. But that's not the best part. You can email them to anyone you want and they can also order them shipped to their home or pick them up at their Costco. How awesome is that? Pretty awesome.

10. Ya that was me- My 10th favorite secret thing is that thing you think I did but wasn't sure about. No I'm not talking about smelly bathrooms or icky stains or any other gross natural byproduct. I mean sneaking a little note in your book or leaving a little money hidden in your jacket pocket. I once hijacked someone's house while they were at an appointment and decorated it for Christmas. I've been known to leave a toy for an unsuspecting kid to find or a brand new book at the public park just for someone to find and fall in love with. I get nothing out of it. I get to walk away and wonder what ever happened to it. But you see, sometimes wondering about something is the best secret we'll ever get to keep. They call the last one book crossing and for more information you can click this link.

11. Geo-caching- I haven't done this one in a long long time because I lost my GPS unit on a hiking trip at some point. If you found a yellow GPS in Columbia it's probably mine... but bygones... enjoy it. Geo- caching is fun for the whole family. It involves taking GPS coordinates for a secret object, looking for it, and logging yourself and leaving something for someone else. Think of it like a really big treasure hunt. For more information click this link to the Geo Caching website I like the best.

12. Vacate Folder- I have this file on my PC called the Vacate Folder. Currently it lives on my laptop at work. In it I save my favorite links to websites of places I'd go right this minute if I had a million dollars to travel and pay my bills while I'm gone. I also keep information on the places I've been and the places I'm planning on going in the near future. I plan vacations all the time that I have no reasonable reason to go on in the next year. But I plan them just the same.

13. This blog- you see... some of you know me & some of you don't but what some of you might not know is that I don't give this blog out to people I see on a regular basis unless I REALLY trust them so it's my little secret. I can talk about whatever I want and in the end it's just the few and the fortunate who know exactly what I mean.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens! Leave them in the comments section please!!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I somehow managed not to visit you after you kindly visited my TT last week, so I'm getting a jump on this week. :)

I love cheese, and have you been following my friends and I at Target?? :)

Great list!

Anonymous said...

I've been into CSI Miami marathons lately...and I never even watched it before!

Chickadee said...

My husband can spend HOURS on wikipedia. He says he will read one article and start clicking on the links. It's amazing how one article can lead to another and lead to another...

My 13 is up!

Celfyddydau said...

Love the list. The vacate folder is a great idea

Darla said...

I love #10. I do things like that once in a while, but not as much as I'd like.

Christine said...

I love your TT!! Wikipedia rocks here, too. Whenever hubby tries to out-argue a subject I know he's WRONG about - I always say "You better Wikipedia that sh*it!!" LOL!

Thanks for the link to Fashion Bug. They have some cute stuff at great prices! As a fellow curvy chick, sometimes I find LB a bit too expensive. And, since I am "small" (14 tops, 16-18 bottoms) I find that a lot of the time they don't stock enough smaller stuff... and with my luck... the only cute thing in the store is available in size 22 or bigger. Ick.

I am a pee stick addict, too. Even though we're not "trying" again just yet, I already have a secret stash built up. ;)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about keeping your blog a secret. Very few people that I know irl know about mine.
Really enjoyed your 13.

John Holland said...

Neat list. I think that you can find a Law and Order on some channel at just about any time at night. I was visiting my parents and it seemed that was all they watched.

My 13 are up.

ann said...

I am also a fan of the Hallmark channel. I also have the DVDs of the Sarah Plain and Tall series! I loved reading your list!

Raggedy said...

Great list!
My TT is posted 2

Anonymous said...

LOL I just used wikipedia to answer someone's grumble on another blog. hmm

I relate to the cheese thing and the giggles and ... well pretty much all of it.

My Thursday 13 is about my web wanderings this last week ... two generosity ops and lots of fun stuff.

ttyl
pam