Monday, January 29, 2007

Same Old Song & Dance

When my God-daughter was about 3 her father got very sick. She would wake up in the middle of the night in a panic thinking he had died (something that years later when he did die never happened once). He would assure her over the baby monitor that he was fine. He would sing to her Baby Mine.

After he died, singing Baby Mine became my job. At first I sang it in my apartment cradling her to me and rocking with the sound of the wind through the sliding glass door at night to put her to sleep. Then I sang it into a CD which she took with her to Texas and sometimes even now I sing it to her over the phone when she is upset.

"sing that song about me"

That's how you request Baby Mine when you are 6 years old. Of course it's about her... it's about all the babies I call mine. My nephew, my niece, my angels and my future children.

The wierdest part as the song has started to comfort me. I find myself humming it at work. Perhaps this song will be my anthem until I can have a baby of my own. Perhaps it is my hope for a Baby Mine.

Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine

Little one when you play
Don't you mind what you say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine

If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for
The right to hold you

From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine

This theme was brought to you by Mama Says Om.

2 comments:

Lil said...

Baby Mine is a special song to both me and my mother...she used to sing it to my daughter when we lived there during my post-partum depression. I remember thinking the words were so bitter sweet...that Nana felt so much more for my daughter then I did through my dark fog. Nonetheless it IS a beautiful song...and my favorite part: "from you head down to your toes, you're not much goodness knows..."

Thanks for sharing,
Lil

Cheryl said...

That's such a sweet song. Why haven't I heard it before? I'm going to have to find the melody and learn that song for my Ben.