Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Day Two of Joy

So I decided to Google for Images of Joy this morning. Don't do it. It's a complete waste. In fact, I can say it was a Joy killer. Except this picture from Frederick Olsen.





As a child I feared the water. I remember at some point being thrown into my Uncle K's pool and freaking out because I thought there were sharks. After that water was horrible. I liked the bath tub but other than that I was content to playing in the sprinkler all summer. One year my mom decided to help me kick the fear addiction. Swimming lessons terrified me and thrilled me all at the same time. Weeks later I would make my way all the way around my mom's friends pool with my hands on the edge and swim under water holding my breath. It was a complete moment of freedom.

Now 20 or more years later I can recall many many summers in my small home town swimming at the local community pool blocks from my house which my mother let me walk to before it opened and at which I stayed every day with my friends until it was closed. Every. Single.Day. I was surrounded by laughter, confidence and the smell of banana boat. My hot pink bathing suit and my 3 month in the sun tan both faded before Sept. every year. But I remember even now when I jump into a pool that first moment when fear turned into absolute excitement. I remember the joy of knowing it would be ok.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Mmmmm. Water. I loved it as a child. I've always lived around lakes and rivers, and we'd go at least three times a month during the summer. That is until my older brother told me that my toes were fishy food. Everytime we'd get in the lake, he'd start yelling, "Here, fishy fishy fishy!" (like Bert and Ernie)... and I'd cry. I hope my son likes swimming. I think he will. He loves the bath. From the start, he's always tried to dunk his head under the water and flail around.