Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Closer You Get The Further I Fall

I grew up in the land of the Oakridge Boys, Alabama and the sounds of classic rock mixed with country boy flair. There is a part of me that always flashes back to my childhood filled with the scent of fresh cut alfalfa playing in the back yard with the sprinklers on the swingset so it wouldn't get so hot it burnt my bottom and the little gnats flying around the yard pestering the dog to the point that she snapped at the air.

Today I saw a bumper sticker on a big chevy truck that said "the music holds my memory" and I laughed. The little sticker was so philosophical and held such a big thought for what I would stereotype as a good ole boy truck. But then when I thought about it longer I realized most of the music that holds a memory for me is the kind that came with dirty work boots, grease stained jeans and burnt BBQ.

When it comes to remembering my father (not that he's more than 10 blocks away most of the time) usually the music holds my memories. Something in a song I remember hearing while putting peanuts in my coke and sitting on a beach towel while bumping down a dirt road reminds me of the way he sings to the radio. Something in a song I remember hearing while watching him coach little league baseball in the summer sun, smelling of tropical banana boat lotion and thinking I knew everything about keeping score reminds me of his patience. Something in a song I remember as I danced and laughed at my wedding reminds me of his grace.

Something in a song...the music holds my memory.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Listening to oldies sparks major memories of my father as well. We took lots of road trips when I was a little girl. He was a salesman, and he'd take us with him sometimes. We'd also travel twice a month to see the grandparents. I always remember him cranking the oldies stations and seeing him rock out to Neil Diamond while he drove the van. He is a very stern, angry man sometimes, and it was always a relief to see him let loose and act like a happy idiot.

Candace said...

I didn't realize you were a southern girl lol. I don't know if you are or not but it sure sounds like it! Memories are always in music for me. I listen to it all the time and always have. Songs can take me back at the drop of a hat.