Monday, August 13, 2007

The Nest- Our Moving Story

So, the hubby and I had both taken Friday off from work. Friday morning came and we went to get our keys. After picking them up we got a u-haul (not the one we ordered but a u-haul is a u-haul right?) and headed in two seperate directions to start our day.

I went to the new house to get the air conditioning fired up and to unload the two closets worth of stuff we had put in my car the night before and Jon went to the old house to start loading large objects by himself because we were without help. After 45 minutes of unloading I went back to the old house and picked up another car load of random stuff light enough for me to unload and the cat and headed to the new house again while my husband kept on loading heavy objects by himself.

On my 2nd trip back to the old house we called Jon's brother (who despite having a very important police academy post test) the next day and his mother who came to our rescue. The MIL helped load small objects into her car and followed me (as I drove Jon's car which we had loaded the night before with most of the kitchen items) to the new house. While the MIL and I unpacked the new kitchen and two cars the boys loaded big items into the truck for a few more hours (Jon had a lot done so it was actually pretty fast once the BIL was there). Then they came to the new house and started unloading stuff and putting it where-ever I pointed.

The MIL had to go get started on a family dinner for that night so she left and the boys unloaded...and then unloaded some more. Then the hubby took the u-haul back to the old house to start putting things in it that were left in the house (mostly smaller stuff- they got all the furniture in one load) and the BIL went to help. I called them at 5:45 and they stopped. The hubby came back to get me and the BIL went to get his wife and we all went to dinner at my MIL.

I had been unpacking for several hours (while putting up with the cable people) and that combined with a lack of eating made it the best taco dinner I've ever had. Then the hubby and I went back to the old house to keep loading a u-haul. After about 45 minutes the MIL and the other BIL showed up and took stuff out to the u-haul and our cars in mass quantity. By this point I was having contractions on a regular basis so I mainly pointed at things, breathed heavily and looked pathetic.

Then once the house was completely empty we drove to the new house and did the same process in reverse, this time with me draped over a couch and breathing heavy. I had contractions till 3 am (for the record).

Once everything was unloaded the MIL and BIL2 left and we puttered around a bit. I did an excellent job of unpacking some stuff in my pjs and then I went to bed. I ended up on the couch at 5 am due to the hubby snoring. The next morning we both woke up incredibly early (7:30 am) and we decided to get some stuff done. Hubby set up the TV and then he set up the PC, then he ran to home depot... the whole time I unpacked. I decorated. I unpacked some more.

Around 11 am the hubby took the u-haul to the old house and started packing up the storage shed by himself. Several hours later when he had loaded the whole thing and looked near death he arrived back at home to find the bedroom, livingroom and kitchen completely set up. I had gone to the grocery store and made dinner...so we ate. My BIL having completed his POST test came over and helped unload the last of the u-haul with the hubby while his wife and I visited on the couch for a little bit.

When they left we got a small second wind. The small second wind resulted in some more stuff being put away. Then I went to bed. I woke up around 3 am having contractions for about an hour and then moved to the couch because the snoring and the cat were driving me crazy. I woke up Sunday morning to the hubby assembling the nursery furniture for me. My hands were so tight from moving things all day that I had to take off my rings and spent part of the day wondering if they would ever go back to normal size.

After some touch up paint and some handy craftsmanship the nursery was another room we could knock off the list. Then we went around the house putting up artwork and talking about where things had ended up.

We made a trip to return the u-haul, stopped by the old house to apply some patch paint over the putty covered holes from the day before and made a quick run to target. When we got home I made lunch and then we went right back to work, hanging things up.

The rocker-recliner I had ordered came in so my husband called the BIL again and they set off in the BIL truck to get my chair. After they put it together they went to Target to look at rugs and to the Home Depot to get dry wall anchors and hung the rest of my stuff.

The BIL and I watched a little food network while I cooked dinner, his wife and son came over and we all ate. Somewhere in that time my husband set up his office/man room. They hung out until about 8 last night and then I went to bed.

I slept till 3 am when I had to go pee and then I spent 3 hours staring at my poor husband who was tired, had worked hard and was snoring because of a cold... and contemplated socking him because he was keeping me up. But by the time I got fed up enough to make a change in the sleeping arrangment it was time to get up. So I've been up since around 4:30 this morning and I'm at work now.

I'm moved. I'm sore. My husband has a cold. None of our friends helped so he gets to sound like the lone ranger when he talks about moving and that's about the whole story.

I'm sure I left some things out like the automatic sprinklers scaring me at 2 am on Saturday night, or the part where the gate was locked and we didn't have a key, or the part where the cable internet isn't working properly or the part where the pipes knock for a good 3 minutes straight when you use the dish-washer... but those things don't matter as much as the fact that the air conditioning works, I have a nursery and I'm all moved.

ahh.. Nesting... done and done.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Sorry I wasn't able to help. After the setting up for the yard sale Friday, and the actual yard sale Saturday I was pooped! Glad that it all worked out and things got done all in the one weekend.