Wednesday, August 08, 2007

You put the lime in the coconut

I have been making jokes since I got pregnant that the son to be godfather of my child will have to sneak a margarita into the hospital for me when I give birth so I can celebrate in style with the one thing that I have craved all summer long. And no...a virgin margarita is not the same. And yes... I am planning on breast-feeding but one drink will not kill a baby.

So now I've been working on the birth plan. I figure I should get that done being as if I don't do it now I'll probably never do it. The thing is... I don't have a plan. I mean I don't even have a clue about what sort of plan I really really really want. I know a few things I don't want.

I don't want an IV. They freak me out. Which in proxy means I don't want an epidural or a catheter because those things require an IV. I don't want to touch anyone's head while they are crowning, I don't want to watch my crotch on pay per view via a mirror or tv monitor. I don't want to cut anyone's cord (nor does my husband for that matter).

I do want to curse when I feel like it. I want to make a lot of sarcastic comments without being judged and if at all possible I'd like to break a few rules and stray from the ice chips regimen my OBGYN seems to think is necessary to make healthy babies.

That's not really a plan though, is it? See my problem... what do you guys think...can you really make a birth plan.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

The plan shall be: Go to the hospital and give birth to a beautiful baby girl. What happens in the middle though, well, I just don't know. You know you'll have a crowd patiently waiting in the waiting room though :)

Cheryl said...

Seems reasonable to me. My birth plan for Anna is pretty much just a joke. I'm refusing to plan for it... except I know I want an enema when I get to the hospital.

Anonymous said...

make no plans because any plan you make will go out the window when the time comes and everything starts. Ice chips I say Yes. You may not even want to move while in labor. That means not even you head to drink water. Ice chips fed to you by your coach works. They melt easy in to water. A rita sounds like a great for afterwords.