Thursday, August 16, 2007

When the Landlord is a Punk

Today my landlord from the old house called me and basically accused me of not paying rent from December-March because he couldn't find canceled checks. So with two hours before I meet him to get my deposit back I had the poor hubby digging through bank records and coming up with proof that I obviously paid rent.

The funniest part about this is that I would have been evicted 100 times fold if I hadn't paid rent for 4 months so he has to know I paid it. I mean he owns a property managment company...they aren't going to let something like that slide.

For the most part I have proof. But in March I used a money order due to some banking issues with my paychecks from work. If he takes that out of my deposit I'm going to raise holy heck. Of course I can't find proof of that payment anywhere because that would be too easy.

In the meantime someone is fixing our cable internet finally at home so it's down and the hubby can't look at the online banking to help me.

What a mess!

Isn't moving fun.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I hate bad landlords. I've had a few. One tried to keep my deposit because I hadn't paid the last month's rent, but it's written in the lease that along with the deposit, I have to pay first and last month's rent. She's a freaking shyster. I wrote her a stern letter and she backed down. Helped that I worked for a lawyer at the time. My last landlord was a sweetie. She was late sending our security deposit back, but when she did, she sent the whole thing plus forty extra bucks "so we could go have a nice dinner." And she wants a birth announcement when Anna is born. I mean really. A nice lady.

Good luck with the landlord. I'm sorry there is this little hiccup in the moving process.