Friday, March 05, 2010

Weekend Perspective


I have officially worked my last weekend before maternity leave. This weekend I get to stay home with my Laylabug, eat sausage & pancakes, visit yardsales and watch G rated movies. I am SOOO excited.
I happened to have last Wednesday off and Layla literally walked me to the pantry, had me get down the pancake mix and then told me what to do for 4 minutes until it became evident that our weekend tradition of pancakes while Daddy sleeps in is just a few months from her being able to do it all by herself. If she could tell the difference between the 1/2 cup and the 1/4 cup I could wait in the living room until the hot stove part.
Moments like that make me excited, I'm building traditions. I like the thought of Layla and I having our weekend traditions. It makes me remember the traditions of my childhood. My mom and I had taters and eggs when Dad was gone for deer season. My Grandma Gerty used to let us help her make biscuits and gravy on Sunday mornings while the coffee perked away on the counter.
I also love that she's learning. I mean sure 2 scoops of mix plus 3 scoops of water and then mix isn't rocket science but she's TWO so it's amazing as far as I am concerned. Or maybe I'm just excited that she likes to hang out with me in the kitchen and that she talks about "cowk-king" (cooking) with mommy like it's the most fun thing ever. After all, it's nice to share the things you love with your kids.
I can't wait until she's old enough to help chop, measure, stir and simmer with me. Then I can get started on that what if list an teach her a recipe or two from my old weekend traditions.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I love it Allie. I think it is so great that our girls love cooking justlike their Mommy's. I am glad that you and Layla have fun traditions. I think it will be fun when they are old enough to "mix" the batter all by themselves and then we can do the "hot" part.