Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Family Game Night Recap

I come from a highly competitive, "take that", "I'll show you how to draw two" sort of childhood. Board games were a product of every single night when I was growing up. First chance I got I married a man who could make me laugh and hold his own at a game of phase 10. That's why it is no suprise to people who grew up with me that I still bring cards to the dinner table, have friends over for board game nights and have family game nights whenever the opportunity arises.

My nephew is itty bitty. Too little to trick or treat and too big to sleep all day and cry all night. So last night we had my brother in law (BIL) and sister in law (SIL) over for dinner and a couple board games. Halloween is a great night for board games. Autumns chill can be safely warded off by your heater and dinner keeps the kitchen nice and toasty. We had spaghetti and home made meatballs. The food was good but wasn't what were came for.

In between door bell ringing, trick or treating fairies and goblins we prepped ourselves for battle. The baby was fed and put down for the night. Pepsi's were cracked, cookies placed with in arms reach and spinner tested for technical difficulties....

In the game of Life there is only one winner. He's usually the guy with the bank (why is that? I don't know but, it has nothing to do with the game). It was a slaughter. You can always tell when a person slaughters everyone else because said person can be spotted with an ear to ear grin, evil laughter and sometimes...if the game was really really bad... that person will dance. Luckily, he didn't dance.

Then the girls picked a game. The game of Encore involves singing songs with specific words in them or in specific categories. It's sort of like a sing off for your brain. In order to win you're going to need that really bad eighties ballad you always wondered why you knew the words to. You are also going to need some good commercial jingles, christmas carols, musicals, theme songs and your occassional modern rock, country or rap lyrics. Then and only then will you realize that this is the BEST. GAME. EVER.

Picture this...grown men surrounded by kit kat wrappers dancing in their seats singing the song Grease Lightening complete with hand motions. Or two women busting out into a christmas carol just after the boys timer ran out and they couldn't think of a song with the word "hear" in it. Laughter. Lots and lots of laughter in your home...and some zombie brain sleep when you are done can both be expected by the end of the night. It takes a lot of energy to make grown white men dance!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! My in-laws tried to teach me Canasta, but I soon realized that I would be a better daughter-in-law if they didn't give me that many reasons to hate them. Wow, are they every competitive!

I think board games are a great way to get to know people. When my husband (then fiancé) first introduced me to his big group of friends, we had gotten together to play Cranium. I'm a quiet person, but I can get very goofy and silly. Playing the game allowed them to see what kind of person I was without all the awkward social cocktail-party-type conversation.

Perri said...

Found your blog through a comment you left regarding foster/adopt. We've done three. All that aside, THE ultimate most funnest game we have (and we have MANY) is a game called Time's Up. Buy it here:
http://www.educationallearninggames.com/times-up.asp

Not look at it - buy it. You won't be sorry and you will be getting ready for a memories and laughter every time you play it.

It is great.

A fellow game lover.....