Sunday, June 15, 2008

Daddy



"hi dadi", "dadi hi", "dadi up", "dadi i grrretchuu", "dadi up"...

Ahh the sweet sounds of morning. On the days when Daddy is here when we wake up it is obvious who my daughter goes to for fun. She's a daddy's girl. Mommy may mend broken hearts, owies and empty tummies around here but daddy hung the moon.
He's a cool guy that dadi guy. He makes himself into a human drum set and bangs out beats to dance to on the bed. He gets on the floor and pushes the buttons on the light up singing toys a hundred times. He makes balls roll and he makes tummy rasberries when he changes diapers. He knows how to splash just right in the pool out back and he isn't afraid to make himself into a human jungle gym or rollercoaster in the name of fun.
I see why she likes him so much. He almost constantly calm, always fun and usually full of baby suprises.
I also see why I love him so much. I see it in his eyes, heartbroken when she is sad. I see it there too filled with sparkle and wonder when she is in love with something for the same time. I see it when we're wondering the toy aisle looking for "that toy" and sometimes I see it in his face while in screams of laughter and giggles of gasping joy he flips her around and bounces her.
But mostly I see it when they sleep. He said "not in our bed" at first. But now, at night, she curls up next to him sometimes and they lay in the same position, mouths slightly open with the deep breathing of good relaxation and she takes her little left hand and places it on his side just to make sure he is there. Without really waking he'll open one eye, cover her back up with the blankets and drift back to sleep.
Moments like that are when my love for him changed. I always knew he'd be a good daddy. I loved him like a crazy boyfriend, I loved him like a husband and father, but I am in love with him still because he is dadi...
Happy Father's Day Jon!

No comments: