Thursday, June 26, 2008

Spider Dance

Today I found a spider running up my pant leg. It was one of the many joyful moments of swearing I've had since I started gathering stuff up for our family yardsale this weekend. Moments like when I dropped a shelf on my foot. Or that great time when I discovered cobwebs in a box of maternity clothes filled with baby spiders. A box which I threw away... and then had to go to the bathroom, strip naked and check to make sure all that creepy crawliness I was feeling was my imagination and not a new baby spider indoor infestation.

I'm telling you people. It's been lovely. But, I am done with the hunter gatherer phase of the horrors of yard sale. Tomorrow my sister in law and I will spend all day in 90 degree heat with small children and little neon colored dots pricing things we no longer value and the next day as the flea market vultures circle in the smoke filled air from the CA valley fires, we will laugh as we gather what we hope will be fist fulls of money.

Now everyone has a different yard sale strategy. Mine is price low, sell low, have more space for the stuff you really want to keep. I'm not in it for the money (although it's a nice perk) I just don't want to have a spider hut instead of a storage shed.

Maybe my new found riches will by me lunch, maybe they'll buy my daughter a new dress, perhaps they are the stuff video games and scrapbook supplies are made of. I really don't care, just as long as it's at least a year before I have to do it again. Maybe by then I'll have worked up enough energy to actually have a TWO day sale.

Err... Maybe not.

No comments: