Thursday, June 05, 2008

Just another morning

I wake up first to the sound of movement past my feet in the crib and I roll over to see that the clock says 3 am. Before I turn my head back she is screaming and crying. She's woken up to find that I am missing. She wants to snuggle and I can hear it through the darkness.

I sweep her into my arms, grab the pacifier and plop her down between myself and my husband in bed. She grabs a handful of my shirt and pulls me near, and she falls back to sleep without letting go. I feel like I have neglected her trust that I will always be there so I watch her sleep holding tightly to me.

When she wakes up again at 7 she quickly searches the surroundings taking comfort in the fact that the room is no longer dark and we are still there. She alternates rolling back and forth poking daddy "hi dadi" and then grabbing mommy's nose "hi Mm Mma". Occasionally she kicks someone or dances in place while say "pup pup pup" she wants UP.

As I start my day I look at her and see what a difference it makes in her life already that we are there. Just being there.

1 comment:

Layla's Nana said...

oh Allie... that's so sweet, and kind of sad... mom's all remember that feeling