Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Memories

I got tagged for yet another MIME this one is a writing prompt called memories where you write a small paragraph about each of 6 scenarios...enjoy...

1. it is elementary school recess...

I am at the Bonita a small agricultural town elementary school filled with migrant worker kids, farmer kids, and a small spattering of transfer kids from the nearby towns which had bigger schools. The school had an old battered gym which was my playground all summer in the evening and most afternoons after classes got out and my homework was done but it was off limits during classes. Restricted from pretending the back steps and ladders was my own private estate in my imagination, I'd resolve myself to wait in line for the swings. Swinging felt like flying and I loved the freedom of it. You could see the whole playground from the swings and I'd watch everyone else participate in their own little glimpses of freedom.

2. it is summer vacation and you are 15...

Banana boat sun tan lotion in a brown bottle, watermelon bubble yum gum, a hot pink and lime green hair scrunchy and an anklet from the mall rounded out my bathing suit and flip flop of choice each day. I'd tote my swim bag filled with towel, snacks and pocket change to the community pool where I'd meet my friends and we'd rule the summer from our corner of the concrete from 10 am until 6 pm each day.

3. it is the highschool football homecoming game...

My friends are all stuck in the band section playing songs that are popular only while eating a 3 dollar hot dog on a metal seat. I am standing by the snack bar, completely uninterested in a popular kid sport being played on a grass field. Instead I make fun conversation that I would never miss and wait for the game to end so that my friends and I can make a brief appearance at the dance and then take off my in my car to play pool in the bigger town near by.

4. it is the last summer before college...

One of my best friends has a son who is almost 2. Instead of spending my summer running away with other friends we spend most of the summer hanging out at my house or her house. We work at the college together and we car pool. When we aren't working we go to the movies, the mall and we play pool. She's part of the family, participating in game nights with my parents, going on road trips with me and finding things to do without a lot of money.

5. it is a night at home with the family...

We brought her home from the hospital today and no one is here. I mean no one, they all left, I guess to give us space but it wasn't what I pictured my homecoming to be like. We fuss about for a few minutes figuring out where to put the car seat now and where we wanted things to go. We change a diaper and make a bottle. We sit on the couch and she is asleep in his arms while I go through my hospital papers. We are home and we don't even know it yet.

6. it is a road trip with friends...

We pile into my car. There are 4 of us, my husband, his friend G and my friend J and we are going to the Monterey area to have some fun. After a long road trip we arrive to find out that the power is out on Cannery Row but we shop anyhow for a few hours fooling around and taking pictures. When we get ready to eat the lack of power puts us on the road again and after a cliff side stop to see a sunset we find a parking spot and a place to eat in Capitola right on the beach. Then on the ride home one by one people fall asleep while we listen to Journey on an ipod connected to my stereo. It was good times.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Maybe I'm not totally up for certain blogging things. How does one get "tagged" for a mime? And what does mime stand for?

A said...

A MIME is a type of email or post in a certain format that is basically like chain mail via the internet. You get tagged by knowing people who want to ask you strange questions I guess LMAO.