Sunday, June 21, 2009

Her Father

I knew he'd be a good father before I ever saw him with a child. Something about him was so calm and safe, I wanted to marry him and have his children. Then he started having neices and nephews and I knew my instincts were right.

After she was born, she went to the NICU and on my request he followed her there, staying with her and reporting back to me post C-section. I didn't want her to feel alone. Part of me knew she wouldn't feel alone with him there. He was her father. She could feel it in the air, I told myself.

We brought her home and I watched him bond with this tiny little person. I watched bits of her in him and bits of him in her and I was a proud Mommy and a proud wife.

And as she grew so did their bond. She is his biggest fan and he is her biggest supporter. They have their own little jokes and routines. Things daddy's do with their little girls that help them to be strong and confident women without even realizing it.

And like him she is a thrill seeker, a loyal counterpart, witty, competative and full of life.


And they haven't even gone very far in their journey together. But, I know in my heart, whereever her footsteps lead her, he will be near enough to catch her if she falls.

Happy Father's Day Jon... if I knew then what I knew now... I wouldn't have changed a thing.

1 comment:

Grammi Teri said...

Ah, that was beautiful. Jon is the Father that Layla deserves to have and Layla is the daughter that Jon deserves. They will greatly enhance each others' lives.It's a beautiful thing. You are a good picker, Allie.