Monday, July 30, 2007

Joel 2:28-31

"And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
I will show wonders in the heavens
and on the earth,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord."

No, that's not the rant of Voldemort before the end of the new Harry Potter book. It's not the prophecy of the dark wizards in the Lord of the Rings. It's not the starter for the latest page turner novel or the theatrical trailer to the latest and greatest sci-fi movie. This is the bible, in it's most magical form.

My biggest Christian pet peeve is that people forget the power and grace that God has given to his servants. He gave them spiritual gifts beyond measure and he didn't stop handing them out when he took his seat in heaven. He promised us they would keep coming right till the very second he came back. He didn't just give us the abililty to serve and to love, he gave us so many other spiritual gifts. This month I'm going to talk about some of them (the ones people don't talk about as much). I'll be starting this weekend. I hope you'll stick around and see what gifts you have that you could be using to further God's kingdom. Our first spiritual gift will be prophecy.

No comments: