Wednesday, July 25, 2007

You Love Me Because I Plan


I know, I know... it's only July (almost August) but trust me if you start now on that beloved Christmas shopping list of yours, you will actually enjoy the months of November and December. For that matter, your husband will really enjoy the months of November and December because you won't spend the whole holiday season searching for deals and spending his paychecks.

I figure it works like this, for every person on your list your going to spend X dollars. So starting now make that list of people and assign each person a dollar amount. If you have access to it, do it in excel or word on your computer. Now print it out and put it in your purse.

When you find smaller items (stocking stuffers, etc) that you can get now, get them. Start looking at sale items. Shop for the littlest people on your list. Look for items that are long lasting and classic.

Great examples from this year...

I got each of the children under the age of one in my family a duffle bag from Lillian Vernon with their name embroidered on it. These bags are great for trips to camp or grandma's house when they are older, store easily in the closet and Mom and Dad can use them when they have a lot of baby stuff to lug around. By ordering them now I got them for $14.98 a piece (that's for a 23" duffle with the name on it) and I didn't pay for shipping.

Earlier this month, wooden blocks went on sale at Walmart. A box of 100 blocks is normally $10 but they were on sale for $7. So I got each of the smaller kids a box of blocks.

There are some things you're going to have to save for closer to Christmas, buying for certain adults, teen-agers, the latest fad toy if you are into that sort of thing. But you can start now. Start with the little stuff. Does everyone get pjs or underwear from mom...get it now...

Let me know how your shopping goes. I'll keep giving you a ticker as Christmas gets closer.

1 comment:

Candace said...

These are great suggestions. I plan on shopping early every year and never manage to do it lol. This year is going to be a cheap Christmas so I think we are doing a lot of crafts. For the grandparents I think we are going to order one of those calenders from walmart with a picture of Anna for each month. I might even do one for hubby to take to work. I will have to put my thinkin cap on!