Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Fair


Every year like clock work I'd spend the whole month of July counting down to the week of the fair when I was little. I lived, breathed, whined, begged and bartered for those 2 weeks to go to the fair as much as possible. I went with every Aunt, Uncle, parent or Grandparent that I could convince to take me. I loved it. I went every day almost every year until highschool.
Since highschool I've always made it a point to come home one day (when I lived away) or to clear my schedule one day (now that I'm a busy adult). I've made some nice drunken memories, some even better food journal entries, but nothing sums up the joy of taking my daughter to the petting zoo and letting her touch a bunny.
Today we took Layla on her first trip to the fair. I must say going to the fair with a 10 month old is much easier than going 8 months pregnant to a fair in August. Much, much easier and you spend less money on water. We walked around and say all the buildings, we people watched, we ate, we listened to AWESOME DRUMMERS (video on Layla's photo site) and we touched a bunny.
I can't wait until next year when she can chase little piggies around in the petting zoo saw dust.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks and sounds like you guys had fun! Sorry I couldn't join you. I had a date with a much needed broom, mop, and duster (I know, 3 guys in one night...). Top it off with a load or two of laundry, including changing and cleaning sheets. I've been putting off having to do a major cleaning for awhile. But, I can only handle grit on my feet for so long.

I'll be experiencing the fair for a bit on Saturday though. Just long enough to see the sights, eat a cinnamon roll (already had the corn dog at Merced Fair), and get out before the crazy get drunk. :)

Glad you had fun!

Krista said...

There's nothing like the look on a little kid's face when they pet a bunny or kitten or see something totally 'mind-boggling' for them. I'm glad you're sharing the fair tradition with her! :)