Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Writing Prompt- Whisper

A small cry in the darkness lingers on the air above my bed and I though I can not see it, it almost feels as if it is against my skin. A second of panic from peaceful slumber as I less than gracefully clamber towards the foot of the bed to see her blindly stumbling around in the dark tangle of sheets, little bears and akward baby limbs. A slow whine picks up volume and urgency as she sees me glancing at her through the crib bars. Ehhh mom-mom bup layla. It is a sentence and because she is only 10 months old and it is nearly 2 am I spend a couple seconds stalled on the fact that she is communicating her needs to me so clearly.

As I reach in to pick her up she finds a little bit of balance and masters her way into a lazy standing position with her head resting on the top bar of the crib. I grasp around in the blankets for the invisible pacifier mumbling in my head a combination of curse words meant for the man who invented the clear pacifier. When my hand hits it my ears perk up to the sound of clinking plastic and I have it.

With one hand the pacifier and the other the baby I swoop everything into my bed and lay her tiny hot head on my pillow. She snuggles down, taking her right hand and placing it down my nightgown until she finds skin and her left hand she draps lazily over her eyes. I pull the cool sheets up around us and say a little prayer into the quietness around us.

Lord, make a circle of white light around me, and in that love protect me, keep me safe, and let me know that I am ok.

A whisper into the darkness takes her stiff little body the rest of the way into comfort and as the last words leave my mouth she falls limp into slumber. A few seconds later she stirs a little and without opening my eyes I hum under my breath...

Baby mine don't you cry...little one dry your eyes...

The song never finishes, barely a verse in we are both back sound asleep.

No comments: