Friday, September 05, 2008

Nana's Birthday


It is almost 8 am when the phone rings out from it's place on top of the piano and Layla's eyes dance across the room when the sound starts, "nan na" she says and crawls next to my chair to wait for me.
Every day they talk, sing, and laugh on the phone. Layla spreading gibberish sentences laced with song lyrics and clearly spoken words. "I lou you" she tells her a few times... "nan na hi nan na" a couple more.
I sit usually serving as a partial translator; narrating the things the baby is doing so my mom can interact with her better. I sit and watch as my daughter dances to "round and round it goes" a song Nana made up for her.
I watch as my mother evolves into Nana and although I can picture her as a mother, now when I think of her it is to marvel at how quickly she adapted to being a grandmother. I think of her in terms of the way my daughter giggles at the thought of her.
Today it is her birthday. She's...well... it doesn't matter how old she is... she's a Nana now it's part of the Nana mystery is to be both old in age and mystically youthful in play.
She is one part the woman who sat in a lumpy bed with me and read that Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs book for the 20th time. She is another part the Nana who stops everyone at work to brag about her baby for the 20th time each day showing them pictures on her PC.
Happy birthday mom Nana! We love you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Allie, I love you... and I love being Nana