Saturday, September 27, 2008

To Layla @ 1 Year Old

My Daring Little Laylabug,

You are one now (well not now but tomorrow). One. A whole number of years. Such an accomplishment for a baby who everyone told me wouldn't make it. But, we prayed for you. We prayed everyday. Some of us still pray today.

I blame the fact that you spent your quiet womb time fighting for survival for your overwhelming determination to be able to do everything. You just HAD to talk. You just HAD to walk. You have this little force inside you that seems to push you to keep exploring, learning, growing, adapting.

When things don't go your way you prove you have both mommy's impatience and Daddy's temper. Usually you shake whatever isn't working while you growl at it (that part you learned from your Godfather) and then you either bite it or head butt it. And then you take a deep breath and try again. (That part is a lot like your Papa Glen...the big breath before you start over)

You are wickedly smart. I know some people would say that I'm bias but you've proven them all wrong with your 75 word vocabulary (at least 75...that's where I lost count) and you little steps across the living room and the way you communicate what you want and need.

This month you deciphered the difference between "ya" and "no no" which you enjoy flexing your power with. "do you want to go upstairs baby?", "ya", "do you want a green bean baby?", "no NO no". You have your father's love of pushing the limit, insisting on doing everything you're told not to at least 3 times before you cry and stop. You have your mother's love of trying new things...especially new spicy foods.

You love TV shows with music, objects you can put into and out of other objects, buttons, and Nana. Oh my how you love Nana. Every day you look for Nana. Every day you talk to Nana on the phone. You are very in LOVE with Nana.

You're going through a Daddy phase. You get very upset when Daddy leaves for work and EXTREMELY happy when he comes home from work. You scream his name and run after him, only to see him for a few seconds and then run back to what you were doing.

You and I have a very special bond. You trust me with all things comforting. When you are sick I am your medicine, when you are tired I am your lullaby, when you are hot I am your dealer for bath tub time with an over abundance of plastic ducks.

You have some things I would call your favorites now. The blankey Jeromy gave you for your crib. Your singing dog from Nana Susan. Your swimmy sticks in the bath tub from Nana Lorrie. Your bottles the way mommy makes them. Playing jump, bounce, throw with Daddy in the big comfy chair. You like Jacks Big Music Show, Johnny and the Sprites, Handy Manny and Jon and Kate plus 8. You like the movie Cars and your toy cars. You like to drum on things, sing and dance. You like to go fast, explore and be chased. You like to push buttons, sort things, and steal my share of the blocks.

You also have made your hate clear on a few things. Green beans top the list of hates. Doesn't matter how I get them on your plate, they always end up on my floor. Sometimes they find the floor via projectile spitting. That's never nice. You hate when people you don't recognize walk away with you. You don't like it when other children playing turns into chaos. You don't like it when reading time is over, when bath time gets cut short because you won't sit on your hinney or when Daddy sneezes. You also dislike cats, which is funny because you're allergic to them, and I always wonder if you know that.

For the most part you love everything. You love the smallest things. Things I never even noticed before now give me great joy because i see them through your eyes. Your a toddler now, a word using, floor walking, game playing, read me that book againing, toddler. In some things it's obvious how big you are, your size in old pictures, your newly found love of trying to feed people with spoons, your ever developing knowledge. But you'll always be my baby.

The baby I prayed for. The baby I swelled up with love for. The baby I fought for. The baby who gives the best kisses, the sweetest hugs, and the reason I am. You are daddy's little rocker, mommy's little princess and your own little self.

And I love you.

1 comment:

Layla's Nana said...

and Nana is Very In Love with Layla

It's been a wonderful year, I've loved every moment, every growth spurt, every giggle, laugh and smile... I love the silly songs, the whispering, the growling and the hugs... I LOVE hearing I lou ou NanNa

I love you too Layla and I always will