Friday, May 08, 2009

Writer's Block

Neil Gaiman once said "You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it. "

I'm six chapters into a book that I was once 10 chapters into but then I deleted 4 chapters and took a different direction due to an unfailing belief that sometimes the best things you will ever write happen when your just clicking away at a keyboard and not thinking about it and that sometimes in that same scenario you just click out crap no one wants to waste time with. I had done the second.

In the first six chapters a well defined character develops, she creates lasting bonds with other characters and they set off on an adventure and if I could just stop the book there I would...because let me tell you that at this point it's a fundamentally awesome book.

But, as it so happens a 6 chapter long book probably wouldn't sell much, what with people being found of spending $7.95 at the local Target for something with a beginning, a middle and most importantly for most of them...an END.

I have a middle. It dances around in my mind when I am nearly asleep or too busy to type (what with bouncing annoyed toddlers on my hip and fighting my bill collectors at bay through the front door screen while trying to avoid being dripped on by unknown sources of water while being bitter about having a broken tooth and talking on the phone all day).

But the end....oh the end... is it a romance? Is it just a story? Is it a drama? Or just a fishing rod? I could take it so many ways and I just can't day dream any one that is better than any other...

And so... I wait.

No comments: