Monday, June 18, 2007

Ch-Ch-Changes

Last month I decided that I was going to quit being a slacker. Often times I admire a trait in other people and then I don't even attempt to replicate that trait in my own life. I then find myself months later wondering why they are so much more "fill in the blank" than I am.

I'm lazy. The Lord helps those who help themselves. We know that. We apply it to the big things in our lives and then we fail because we started with such a big task. Failure leads to lack of motivation and then we don't try at all.

I decided for once I would start with something little. I picked "thank you". I admire people who sound like they genuinely appreciate others. I started thanking the mail man, people who let me cut in traffic (even if they can't hear me), the waiter and anyone else I thought was appropriate. I thank them sincerely and often. I thanked them when they did just alright and I thanked them more when they excelled.

The truth is that the waiter doesn't have to wait on you quickly, the bag boy doesn't have to take the time to tie your bags closed so they don't spill all over the trunk and the woman at the baby consignment store doesn't have to call and tell you when stuff you'd like comes in. They don't have to but they do... and I don't have to say thank you... but I do.

3 comments:

niobe said...

What a good idea.

Courtney said...

I always try to say thank you. Someone at work helping me out, the waiter keeping my water glass filled, my mom who folded my laundry for no reason, etc. Those two little words can make someone who didn't feel appreciated, feel appreciated.

Anonymous said...

One thank you goes a long, long way. Thank you for letting us read your blog. :)