Thursday, June 07, 2007

It's a Family Affair

So for my next round of question answering I am picking out all the questions (so far) that match the family theme so that my posts don't start sounding like I have multiple personalities.

We'll start with "What is my biggest fear about being a mom?" from AubreyAnne (who knows me and I didn't know still read my blog so I am super excited about answering her questions).

My biggest fear about being a mom is that I will cause my children to need large amounts of therapy or to lose faith in God or other people. I'm cynical sometimes and I often wonder if to some people that could come across as bitter or mean. I want my kids to love God, love others and love themselves. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull that off.

Although, I must say...as a near second... I'm absolutely terrified of that whole IV during labor thing.

Then Cheryl at Red Pens & Diapers asked "Who is my favorite relative (not a parent or sibling) and why?"

I have two favorite relatives but they are for very very different reasons. My Grandma Gerty was (may she rest in peace) my biggest role model and the woman on which my marital relationship, interaction with others and faith in God are all based on. She had a great deal of grace but still cheated when playing cards, wore red lipstick and flirted with the bag boy at the grocery store. She made people feel loved and she was one heck of a cook. Her funeral was standing room only. In a town where people forget who you are everyone knew her name. I admire her greatly.

My cousin Jeromy has always been my second favorite relative. He is just a month younger than me and we spent most of our lives more like siblings. We interacted so much that I'd say we know each other much too well. He went off and joined the army and we wrote great letters for a few years. Now that he's home we don't see each other as often as I like but I know he's one of my biggest fans and would protect me till the death. And for him... I'd even share my cheesecake.

And our last two questions for today are from Mike the Mormon (who has a blog but didn't link it so I guess I won't either). He asked "What things did your parents teach your that you wish they hadn't? What did they teach you that you are thankful for?"

Both my parents are horrible with saving money. I inherited that problem. Mine isn't as bad as it could be but I still have the problem. My mother taught me that I can be replaced (which is a long and bitter story I'm not telling) but I wish I didn't know that. My father taught me that it is possible to make someone feel guilty for wanting to help others. No one should learn that.

But, those things are far outweighed by the things I learned that I am thankful for. I learned the value of saying "I love you", the whimsical silly fun of family game night, the value of laughter, the ability to love people that other people think don't deserve the time of day, the power of family, the joy of reading, an appreciation of good food, the ability to stretch a dollar, the value of that dollar to others, the ability to help my community, the type of personality that wanted to be involved in great things, a desire to travel and much much more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More great questions & answers!! You're so much better at this than I was.

Candace said...

Here are a few more questions to keep you rolling.

what scares you the most about bringing home a baby?

how long have you been ttc?

have you started working on your nursery?