Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Bad Night Before A Day


Last night I found myself in bed with a head racing around with a multitude of thoughts about nothing in particular. After thirty minutes or so of head reeling fun I decided to head back downstairs to sit and pray in the dark cool room alone before trying to drift back to sleep.


When I came back to bed my husband was sprawled out in a much needed deep sleep snoring louder than the lion's den at the SF zoo probably sounds at night. Sigh. I creep into my spot and lay there listening to sonic snoring for about 2 hours until the baby coughs. I go check on the baby and come back to find I have no blankets of any kind. Well, I know I've done that to him before so it's my turn. I lay down and try to find my inner silence.


Snore. SNORE. Snore. At 1:43 am I went to the spare bed in the baby's room to try to find solice. Snore. snore.snore. OMG I can still hear it. So I get up and shut our bedroom door and the baby's bedroom door. Which of course wakes up the baby. The last time I looked at the clock before she went to sleep it was 2:30 am. She played with stuffed animals, my buttons, the pillow cases, her toes and eventually fell asleep with her left foot laying on my forehead, calf across my face and left thigh practically in my mouth.

I actually fell asleep like that. She of course woke up at 6 am her normal "early" time. (Wake up here ranges from 6-7:40) and I realize I am still exhausted so I let her play a bit in the bed until she literally crawls on top of me, opens my mouth, puts her face to my face and yells "UUUUU PPPPTTTT".... I hear ya kid we're getting up.


After a short pit stop where I drop her off on sleeping daddy so I can go pee we tumble downstairs to get her breakfast. I make and egg. She throws it on the floor. I give her a cereal bar. She puts it on the seat next to her. I make toast...she eats 3 bites. I give up and give her a bigger than normal AM bottle and park her in front of Johnny in the Sprites while I quickly drink enough Pepsi to get me to almost conscience.


She skipped all the important naps in the morning. Wouldn't eat and took great joy in getting really close to me and screaming. Lovely day. When she finally goes down for a nap my girlfriend in WA reminds me I should take a nap too... somewhere between going pee and throwing away my soda can I get distracted by the dishes, overflowing kitchen counter and dirty floor. I clean instead.


Next thing I know I've auto piloted to the second nap which Daddy puts her down for and now I've got so much pepsi in me I can't sleep so I send the hubby out for the first adult meal of the day at 2 pm.


Nap bleeds into snack time, which rolls over into a cookie bribery to buy me 3 more minutes of quiet, and then some backyardigans while Daddy gets ready for work and her bath which by the way is the only time she was truly a pleasure to deal with all day. After that she hated her Pjs so I had to change them and then when Daddy left for work she cried on the floor for 11 minutes... not that I was counting.


Bedtime bottle seemed to take forever and she was in bed 15 minutes before normal. Crying again. So I sat outside the door and sang L-O-V-E until she calmed down and laid down. Her head...hit pillow... and it was quiet... almost instantly.


So do I sleep? No, now I've got my third wind. So instead I'll blog and talk on the phone. But you better bet I'll have a shower and be in bed by 10 tonight. Mommy needs a time out.

3 comments:

Layla's Nana said...

wow long day indeed...
still, she's the most adorablistic baby in the whole world, I mean just look at that picture!!

Grammi Teri said...

God made them cute for a reason!

Courtney said...

Allie-
I have, ah, deleted your text with the new address. Could you resend it? I have an invite to send you... Muchos gracias!