Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why I Hate Charter w/ Update

So when I didn't have internet I wrote this...

I called around the 9th of August to make arrangements to move my cable service to our new house. Cable was set to be turned off on the 15th at one house and turned on that same day at the new house (with the cable phone service turned on the following Monday).

Imagine my surprise when on Wednesday I arrived home to find my cable service off. I decided I must have missed a bill or something and called the customer service number only to find that I was not past due but instead someone had made a typo during my phone request so the service had been disconnected at the street. Turning it back on would take a service order in 3-5 days so I just confirmed my appointment at the new place and decided to suck it up with no internet, cable, or telephone.

The 15th rolled around and we had the TV and computer all set up to wait for the Charter rep to arrive. 12-4 was my service window so at 4:30 I called to see where the rep was and was told he had to tried to call me he was running late and would be there in 55 minutes (random time?) I confirmed they had the right address and the right telephone number and resumed my role of waiting for the service rep.

At 5:45 I called again this time I was told the rep had tried to come twice and we weren’t home (we’d been there/3 of us since 11 am) and that I couldn’t get him to come back the same day so I spoke to a supervisor (in not a nice way) and explained to him that for a person to come to my place he would have HAD to drive past it to get back out and not only would we have seen him and stopped him but he couldn’t have missed the number on the house because it’s white on black so he HAD to be lying.

I was then told no more reps were working (after being told they work until 8 pm and not to worry about it the first time I called) and that a new service appointment was being set for me on Tuesday. (Two days after we wanted to watch a pay per view and almost a week after our internet service went off rendering me blogless, emailless and without the ability to job search)
I went a little crazy on the phone and better yet I hatched a plan.

Monday morning 8 am will find me standing outside the cable office locally waiting for the first supervisor I can find.

God have mercy on his soul.

** Update**

Turns out Charter didn't open until 8:30 but I was there when they did. I talked to the girl at the counter about why I wanted to speak to a manager (I could see the two managers watching us on a screen in an office which was funny) and when I was done she got me a manager pretty quickly.

While one manager talked to me (telling the whole story again from the notes I brought with me) the other one went to the dispatch area and I heard yelling start. Apparently it's not ok to lie to a customer. Go figure.

I was assured that between 3-5 pm on Monday not only would my phone service (for which I had an appointment) be set up but also my cable and internet. He got here at 4:45... I was almost ready to fume again. But this time I knew what I was going to do if he didn't show up. You see now I have the local direct number, the managers cell number, a $40 credit and free DVR for a month.

But, more importantly... now we have cable!

1 comment:

Grammi Teri said...

Damn,I love your moxie!