Sunday, August 03, 2008

There will be much packing & cursing

We're moving. Yea, you heard it here first, unless of course, you heard it somewhere else first.

The hubby and I took a good look at finances and priorities and those little things that keep you up worrying at night that you shouldn't have to worry about. We decided to be adults. We're taking a downgrade... to a townhouse. We'll be going from renting 1500 sq. ft. of tile and crazy landlord landscaping (really she just keeps getting weirder and weirder) to about 950 sq. ft. if I had to guess.

No more lawns we don't use and no more extra bedroom. But for the space we lost we'll gain over $500 a month in savings, the ability for me to be home more with Layla even if I get a job... oh and we'll be gaining a lot more quality family time (as there are less places to hide).

For the most part we're hesitantly excited. Torn between "dang I hate being an adult" and "woo hoo no more worrying every paycheck". I'm sure once we're there it will be a much easier adjustment to make. I can totally give up my own yard and walk to the park down the street if I know that means I won't spend lots of time writing lists of bills on pieces of paper and praying the numbers all add up.

Plus the smaller space, by freeing us up financially will also leave us with more money for road trips, day trips and vacations like we used to take. Layla will still have her own room, we're going to put a bed in it for visitors. We'll have a room, with a desk in it so the baby can't get to it. It's 1.5 baths so we won't have to hike upstairs to take a pit stop.

I think it's going to be something we're really glad we did.

But, of course, while we're moving we're so strapped it's not even funny. So to keep my mind off money and stress... I'll be packing, cursing at objects that don't wrap easily into a box and eating oreos until further notice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm...Oreos....!

I think you'll be VERY glad you did this, now, while it's still a "Should we?" rather than a "OMG, we HAVE to!"

Courtney said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats! Where are said townhouses?

Candace said...

be4u is right we are now at the OMG we HAVE to stage. We are going to prepare our house to go on the market and sale it lower than we probably should just so that we can get rid of it. Good luck with your move!