Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's like sleep walking with less skill

Tuesday night when I went to bed I found my daughter standing in the middle of her crib. She was completely asleep. Even more impressive she wasn't holding on to anything. I snuck out to tell Jon and then went back to try and figure out how to lay a sleeping child down without waking her because I didn't want her to fall and hit the crib walls. Of course, I woke her up. The result was a terrified child trying to figure out why I was making her stand in a crib with my face in her face at midnight. Poor thing. She recovered well and slept the rest of the night in my bed. Tossing and turning her way through a teething fever.

Last night, when I went to bed she woke up as soon as I got to the end of the hallway and was already pulling herself up on the front of the crib when I walked into the room. As a safety measure I decided to readministered tylenol and orajel and stick her in my bed. In the dark I reached over and touched her mouth to see if she had a pacifier before I moved her. When there was one in her mouth I leaned over and picked her up. Her arms both hung out straight from her sides like a wobbly king of the world and I laughed to see she was in fact holding 2 more pacifiers. With one in her mouth and one in each hand it became evident that she was already almost back asleep.

Half slit eyes glazed over with sleep and teething fever looked at me while she took her right hand and tried to put a pacifier in her mouth. tink. It hit the one already there. She moaned in confusion. Then she tried the one in her left hand. tink. It also wouldn't go in. She was so frustrated she growled so I pulled the one in her mouth out.

Still almost asleep she tried to jam both hands with pacifiers into her mouth at once. The resulting gnashing of teeth, lips and plastic was adorable to watch but lead to her pathetically crying while both pacifiers fell to the floor. So I put the one I had back in her mouth just as she tried to swan dive out of my hands to get the other two.

I gave her the two on the floor back and set her in my bed. With one in her mouth and one in each hand tucked into her belly she drifted back to sleep.

She's such a cute little sleep hoarder.

No comments: