Sunday, August 24, 2008

Upron Strings

I find it crammed into a shelf at the local Target and I don't even look at the price tag. It is pink and white gingham print with white ribbon ties and I am instantly transported back to the age of 5 when I put on the blue and white apron in Grandma Gerty's kitchen to help someone make something they could have made faster, easier and cleaner without me. Layla must have it.

At the check out counter I learn it was from the dollar bin. It cost more than the hand me down relic that I learned to cook in. But, it is priceless.

I pull it out of the bag sitting in my livingroom and show it to my daughter. In a few months I tell her, she will get to wear this apron and learn to stir things for Christmas cookies. She lurches it from my hand and spins it around in the air.

She doesn't understand. She probably won't understand until she is a grown woman one day and she passes a tiny apron in a store and instantly it is a priceless chance to duplicate a memory.

1 comment:

niobe said...

I love this post. I can practically see that adorable little apron.