Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Connecting

Yesterday, I went to a conference for work. The purpose of the event is to connect the people in our county who work in or with technology. At least, that's what they tell me. I personally think this was just another test from God to teach me patience.

This test included repeating bad music on a loop less than an hour long (it was a 10 hour event). I think I heard the song "Downtown" about 15 times. The test also involved a lot of people who were there just to get the free stuff. People who had no interest in technology but a lot of interest in taking handfuls of free pens and bags of printouts they would need. A test with cement floors, loud speaker systems, long hours and a good block long walk to unload the car (with heavy boxes to carry) over multiple trips because the gate was locked during setup.

A test which I think I passed pretty well. I got a few good leads and a few people who have already contacted me even though it's only 9 am the next morning.

Today is Administrative Professionals Day so thank your favorite Secretary. As someone who manages an administrative team I can tell you a little praise goes a long way to connecting you to the people around you.

No comments: