Monday, April 09, 2007

Planners Anonymous

I think they need to make a group for people like me. Control-freak-o-holics has a nice ring but they'd probably call it something more passive like Planners Anonymous. You see the problem with people like me is that we're really good at getting things done, when you let us get them done, that is.

I hate to wait. I hate waiting for late people. I hate waiting for my turn. But mostly, I hate waiting for other people to make up their mind and tell me what they want me to do. You can tell me to do nothing. I'm totally ok with that. But don't tell me that I might be doing something then proceed to wait several months not making up your mind. It drives me crazy.

Everyone's time has value. Your time is worth a lot to you and my time is worth a lot to me. When you make me wait for you to tell me if my time is taken I lose a lot of opportunity to book my time doing things I like to do... like eating, sleeping and complaining (hey I'm pregnant and I'm honest about it).

I'd really like to be planning my summer. (Booking the dates, lining up the appointments, scheduling much needed time to sit around all day in my pjs) I just can't do it. I know it's not all their fault, some people aren't like me and can't plan a date for their wedding, bridal shower, baby shower or vacation several months in advance. That is why I need that support group.

I need a place I can go to when you can't even pick a date on the calendar, where the other people will understand. I need a bag to breath into, a calendar covered with writing and someone to tell me it's ok to want to be ahead of the game. I need another planner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll see you at the meeting. I'm a little OCD with the planning too.... uncertainty is not my friend, and watch out if I'm not in charge of the vacation plans. Going on vacation with my dad and three "go with the flow" sisters.... in July... I won't see plans till late June.... this is seriously stressing me out!

Cheryl said...

I can be a planner when the need arises. I planned the hell out of my wedding and honeymoon trip. Almost down to the rest stops. But I don't plan my daily life. Maybe that's why it's almost been a month, and our bathroom renovation still isn't done. :) I may not be able to relate completely, but I give you permission to plan as much as makes you feel comfortable. By the way, I plan PJ days as well. I get two weeks of vacation days every where, and we're not going anywhere this year. So I've been picking a few days out of each month (up until the time I expect to quit) that will be dedicated to pajamas and enjoying life before I become a stay-at-home mommy.