Monday, April 23, 2007

Marked for Life

It's official. I got my first stretch mark. Yes, I know it's early. I'm only 15 weeks along but I'm telling you this kid is out to prove it's in control. I went to bed last night with an ivory belly and woke up today with three perfectly horrific purple lines. On the upside, now I have a good reason to never own a bikini.

Today I'm working from home. Working from home is a whole new challenge for me. I love it because I get more done but I hate it because I can't be a mother hen over my staff if I am not in the building. God is prepping me for maternity leave I guess.

Speaking of maternity leave. How long did you ladies take off? I can have up to 120 days. Which is close to four months. But I am thinking of 2.5 months off...which would put me returning right after New Years. I just don't know how much time a person really needs to recover.

Any advice?

3 comments:

Owlhaven said...

Take the max. You will probably want more than that. If not, your boss will probably happily take you back early.

Mary, mom to many

Anonymous said...

It's not just about recovering, it's also about bonding with your new body. I vote to take the max as well.

Cheryl said...

Definitely take the max. At my company, maternity leave for hourly employees sucks. I was allowed 6 weeks at 40% pay. Under federal law, I can have 12 weeks unpaid leave, but we needed the money, so I had to live with what my company offered.

Take the max because you'll have to be living with a newborn still, and believe me, you won't be getting a lot of sleep at night for those first four months anyway. That was the hardest thing for me about going back at six weeks. I was still up with Ben a few times a night to feed him, even if my husband was the one getting up. I'd still wake up and pump.