Sunday, November 16, 2008

You can't snooze motherhood

Hi it's me Pavlov. My daughter slept in on Saturday until AFTER 7 am. First off...take that in for a second. The child that never sleeps, slept until 7.

I, on the otherhand, who BEG to sleep in every day for the last few months. I woke up at 6:15 that morning. I laid in bed after the sun came up, and I waited because she normally is up until around 6:30 am.

Then around 6:45 I started to worry. So I snuck into her room and checked to see that yes in fact she is still breathing.

And then I waited, because after over a year of being a mom I don't have the ability to sleep in past when the baby normally gets up. I contemplated how similar I felt to that dog that drooled when the bell rang in Pavlov's home. Then I tried to get comfortable again.

But nothing happened. You can't snooze being a mom. I just sat there willing her to sleep until she was happy to be awake. Willing myself to go back to sleep. And staring at the ceiling against my will because I just wanted to get up and start our day together.

No comments: